1996-11-18 - Playing card cryptosystems

Header Data

From: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1875f820a77b3414548b1ae07e5d1d9e28c7147054e5eb7337664571967d6864
Message ID: <848332390.56562.0@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 10:54:15 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 10:54:15 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Playing card cryptosystems

> Also I did hear tell that Bruce Schneier was working on a crypto
> algorithm which was designed to work with playing cards, for a book
> which Neal Stephenson is writing.  Presumably painful to use, but
> maybe good plausible deniability, all that you need is a pack of
> cards.

Not even that in fact, there are methods, and I can confirm they work
because I can do it myself, that allow one to memorize the order of a
pack of playing cards, some people can even do it with up to 8 packs,
although this requires a more complicated method. So while encryption
requires one to have the cards ready (about 8 good riffle shuffles
will restore a high degree of randomness to a deck) you can keep the
pad for short messages in your head. But one can do the same with one
time pads that use other plaintexts as the pad.

  Datacomms Technologies web authoring and data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/
      Email for PGP public key, ID: 5BBFAEB1