1996-11-15 - [POLITICS] Re: Members of Parliament Problem

Header Data

From: ph@netcom.com (Peter Hendrickson)
To: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Message Hash: 18bc985fb23f5757e7c3d1bdeebde710d1da96e86149e55d0bb3070f344bdb8c
Message ID: <v02140b01aeb231abd199@[192.0.2.1]>
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 07:12:59 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ph@netcom.com (Peter Hendrickson)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 07:12:59 -0800 (PST)
To: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Subject: [POLITICS] Re: Members of Parliament Problem

At 9:32 AM 11/15/1996, Adam Shostack wrote:
>         Most of the usual arguments about disallowing anonymity
> actually apply to a Parliment.  There is a responsibility involved in
> the execution of power.

>         This is not to condone attacking children, or killing ones
> political opponents.  For an MP to imply that something he wants to
> say will likely get him/his kids killed probably means that he wants
> to use the power of the state in some way likely to quite upset at
> least a few people.  If this is the case, then allowing him to
> anonymously, and without responsibility, direct the power of the state
> is congruent to tyranny.

Please allow me to respectfully disagree.

Let's consider another issue: recreational drugs.  We can be pretty
sure that a sizeable number of Congressmen use marijuana and see
no reason for it to be illegal.  Yet, to speak about it would be
understood to be political suicide with possible legal repercussions.
Were Congressmen able to speak anonymously, such an issue could be
discussed.  It is more likely that good policy results from discussion.

Or, consider homosexuality.  We can be pretty sure that a significant
number of Congressmen are homosexual.  Yet, to discuss it would be,
for many, political suicide.  Many other Congressmen support
anti-discrimination laws for homosexuals, but are afraid to discuss
it.

Or, consider spending bills.  The Congress is spending our money
for us faster than they can collect it.  Nobody seems to really want
this to be happening, but they can't help it.  Discussion of the
issue may require alienating certain constituents or stating unpleasant
truths which would affect a Congressman's relationship with other
Congressmen.  Speaking anonymously would allow Congressmen to simply
speak the truth without fear of retribution, just like anyone else.

If a small group of people are upset enough to kill somebody for what
they say, I have difficulty immediately describing them as oppressed.
I am making no statement regarding any particular group.

What is more, I believe that political leaders should be subjected to
the same laws as everyone else.  Like many on this list, I do not
believe the citizens have any sort of responsibility to speak
non-anonymously.

Peter Hendrickson
ph@netcom.com

Thread