1996-11-12 - Make.digital.money.fast

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 31044af71173f951d6fd8599b13a0329ccd79452aed3f7974c4d8da14330f556
Message ID: <woJaXD3w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 11:15:05 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 11:15:05 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Make.digital.money.fast

Rabid Wombat <wombat@mcfeely.bsfs.org> writes:
> On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Clay Olbon II wrote:
>
> > Pyramid schemes could be a growth market in a crypto-anarchic world.  It is
> > yet another market such as gambling, or the lottery, that could be conducte
> > with anonymity.  And it appears to be much more widespread on the internet
>
> How is it like gambling? If I get a pyramid letter instructing me to send
> money to five people on the list, add my name to the bottom, send to 5
> people, or whatever, there's nothing stopping me from removing all the
> names, adding my name and those of four friends, and passing the letter
> along. With an anonymous system, I could easily be all five people,
> without even the bother of getting five different post office boxes.
>
> There's no gambling involved; only blantant stupidity.

I agree - MMF is stupid. Gambling in Las Vegas is stupid. Buying lottery
tickets is stupid (except in rare cases when the jackpot is very large.)
The way most investors play the market is stupid. It's unbelieavble how
many billions of dollars move around in non-productive activities which
can only be described as stupid.

Coming back to MMF, I recall the famous quote from Dave Rhoad's original
post which said approximately: "The success of this project depends on the
honest and integrity of each participant." (By the way, DR is a real person,
living in California.) My small-scale survey indicates that almost all the
people who post MMF try to "cheat" in a minor way by not sending the $5 to
the 5 people upstream of them. I think this casn be prevented cryptograhicaly
if the MMF post includes digitally signed assertions from the 5 upstream
people certifying that they've received their $ from this particular poster.
A slightly more sophisticated form of "cheating" is described by RW above:
the poster generated 5 nyms, generated 5 receipts from these nyms, and
effectively starts a new pyramid. A partial response to that would be
to require each new nym to be certified by its immediate upstream
neighbor: sort of like the web of trust, rooted in Dave Rhoades himself.
But that too can be circumvented by a single person "spamming" the
pyramid by multiple nyms all belonging to him. There's no good way
to ascertain that mutliple nyms don't belong to the same person.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM