1996-11-13 - Re: Child Protective Services and Political Views

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 34beb8a101b40ae1d768d0c44f002d86a85976a8657a4578b8990ae88e4c19e3
Message ID: <328950B3.1B0E@gte.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 20:46:20 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 20:46:20 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Child Protective Services and Political Views

Duncan Frissell wrote:
> At 11:26 AM 11/12/96 -0800, Timothy C. May wrote:
> >Who knows, it may even be a
> >technical crime ("contributing to the delinquency of a minor"?) to even
> >discuss basic libertarian ideas with a minor. And as I said, Child
> >Protective Services could quite possibly seize a child whose parents were
> >sufficiently vocal about their beliefs.)

> One shouldn't be vocal to public employees in any case.  Avoid them.  If
> you are going to be vocal use a non government forum.  Separate your
> personal life from your political life.  It's not too hard to break most of
> the pointers between your physical presence and your ideological presence.
> Even though an investigator could find where I sleep at night, they would
> have to actually expend the resources.  My neighbors and the local cops are
> unlikely to make the connection because they and I move in very different
> circles and I minimize my database presence.

[snip]

Those people who live a very simple life [no TV, or at least no Cable TV,
sleep on the floor with a small, thin mattress, use very little power
outside of what's necessary for the laptop AC adapters, drive the smallest
cheapest car available, wear old clothing, wear a beard to cut down on
shaving, eat mostly veggie and mostly fresh, avoid doctors and drugstore
products, stay away from large-corporation jobs, move frequently, rent
but never buy, .... (you get the picture)] will get by just fine, and
will have the flexibility to make large-scale adjustments rather easily.

People who consider the opposite of some of the things mentioned above as
very important to them will have to deal with the bad news.

Thread