1996-11-22 - Re: killfiling aga@dhp.com

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: gbroiles@netbox.com (Greg Broiles)
Message Hash: 3ce9f2954eb70ea87a34e8b424f914c27c1d60ed19bfce2fdf9e71eab50569a6
Message ID: <199611212322.RAA01823@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <3.0b28.32.19961121105128.006fd704@ricochet.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-22 02:47:11 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 18:47:11 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 18:47:11 -0800 (PST)
To: gbroiles@netbox.com (Greg Broiles)
Subject: Re: killfiling aga@dhp.com

Greg Broiles wrote:

> At 06:45 AM 11/21/96 -0800, nobody@cypherpunks.ca (John Anonymous
> MacDonald) wrote:
> [discussing aga@dhp.com]
> >I should'a kill-filed this sicko long ago.
>
> Agreed. But if you (and other anonymous posters) are going to continue to
> reply to him or other unproductive kooks, would you please put their
> addresses somewhere in the headers of your messages (perhaps in the To: or
> Cc: or Subject:) headers so that the rest of us who are using killfiles
> won't have to read your replies?

If you use procmail, you can use the following entry to support
cypherpunks-specific killfile:

:0
* ^(Sender|From): owner-cypherpunks@toad.com
{
  :0 BHc:
  * !? fgrep -q -i -f $HOME/.procmail/killfile.cpunks
  $MAILDIR/crypto.noflames

  .. some more irrelevant recipes ..
}

Then create ~/.procmail and edit file $HOME/.procmail/killfile.cpunks.
Put there something like

someone@you.want.to.ignore
freedom-knights
someone@else

and so on. This recipe will trash everything with the specified
addresses mentioned in headers and bodies of incoming cypherpunks
articles. I experimented with this recipe at the height of the f-k
vs. cypherpunks flamewar. It reduced the traffic in half and what
remained was much more useful.

	- Igor.

Thread