1996-11-04 - Unix Review - letter to editor

Header Data

From: peter.allan@aeat.co.uk (Peter M Allan)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3e98d7025dc14f37577da2fce6273ea2076d6c86aeb79aa1b06dda2b2d0cdad3
Message ID: <9611041829.AA26083@clare.risley.aeat.co.uk>
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 10:29:01 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: peter.allan@aeat.co.uk (Peter M Allan)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 10:29:01 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Unix Review - letter to editor

[ I refer to the article starting on p55
  of the Nov 1996 Unix Review. ]

-----letter to Ed start here------

Andrew,

Congratulations on a welcome crypto article in UR.

This is an important topic for security, networks,
web-based commerce etc and is only going to increase in
importance as people realise data is money.

The article did raise my eyebrows a few times though
with some wild statements - about the speed of brute-force
attacks on DES, and about USG 'key escrow' proposals,
patents and key certification.

Also there are absolutely crucial issues not touched on,
probably for lack of space.  Details matter, and if you're
contemplating another article on the subject I'd be happy
to write it [subject to my boss' approval] or review it
before publication.  The field moves fast at times, and
it would be good to keep an eye on the subject in a fairly
regular column.

Strangely, your author didn't mention ftp.ox.ac.uk,
an ftp site for many good crypto tools, which
(as a UK site) is not subject to US export restrictions.

 -- Peter Allan    peter.allan@aeat.co.uk

Thread