1996-11-08 - Re: Why is cryptoanarchy irreversible?

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 40fa705235510db6b763b7a89379fd0af236ad4d7f0a2dedf3fd33a9ab14ff8c
Message ID: <199611081155.DAA25589@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 03:56:32 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 03:56:32 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Why is cryptoanarchy irreversible?

At 06:25 PM 11/7/96 -0800, Peter Hendrickson wrote:
>At 5:12 PM 11/7/1996, jim bell wrote:
>> BTW, some of your confusion is probably based is the false assumptions in
>> your last sentence above.  "..wide use of strong cryptography results in
>> widely unpopular activities such as sarin attacks and political
>> assassinations."
>
>No, you're confused, but it's probably my fault.  We don't really know
>what cryptoanarchy will be like.  We all have ideas about it.  Some
>we share and some we don't.  But we won't really know until we see it
>happen.

Well, uh, with all due respect, but while it's obviously true that we won't
know EXACTLY how it'll be, that doesn't mean that no portion of we imagine
will come true.  This is particularly true on the big issues.   For example,
you hypothesized that "wide use of strong cryptography resuts in widely
unpopular activities such as sarin attacks and political activities.  I
pointed out, almost certainly correctly, that these are wrong:

1.  To believe that use in cryptography will result in greater numbers of
random attacks on innocent civilians.  As I pointed out, the exact opposite
should be true:  A greater ability to target the guilty means less reason to
kill the innocent.

2.  To believe that political assassination will be unpopular even if the
ordinary citizen has an effective say in who's going to die.

In other words, based on my understanding these beliefs are diametrically
opposed to the truth.  Not simply a difference in extent, we're talking a
180-degree change.

Your response is a sheepish, "but we won't really know until we see it
happen."   Harrumph!

>My whole point is based on the proposition that the doomsayers are right.

Which doomsayers?  What version of "doom"?

>I believe D. Denning has suggested that cryptoanarchy will result in
>the breakdown of our society.

I suppose that depends a lot on what a person means by the phrase, "our
society."  Used as you (and maybe she, as well) this sounds like a
code-word.  To a statist, "society" is basically the stratification system
that has developed to let one group of people control another.  By that
standard, cryptoanarchy WILL "result in the breakdown of our society."   But
that's all for the good.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread