1996-11-17 - Re: The Utility of Privacy

Header Data

From: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 41614e594452ee6fd2aeb6f48ee8a08dbd82276dc01b4a7e2986c4a2f4462bda
Message ID: <199611171612.IAA01572@mailmasher.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 08:12:11 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 08:12:11 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The Utility of Privacy

At 4:11 AM 11/17/1996, Black Unicorn wrote:
>On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, Huge Cajones Remailer wrote:
>
>> Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 18:22:33 -0800
>> From: Huge Cajones Remailer <nobody@huge.cajones.com>
>> To: cypherpunks@toad.com
>> Subject: The Utility of Privacy
>>

>> Privacy is a hassle.  Is it worth it?
>>
>> Which unfortunate situations does privacy prevent?  What are the odds
>> that they will occur?  How much effort will it take to prevent these
>> outcomes?  As a model, use the present and future situation of a
>> typical reader of this list.
>
>Insurance is a hassle.  Is it worth it?
>
>Which unfortunate situations does insurance prevent?  What are the odds
>that they will occur?  How much effort will it take to prevent these
>outcomes?  As a model, use the present and future situation of a
>typical reader of this list.

I know many people who were happy they had insurance due to car
accidents, health problems, or whatever.  What is more, the odds of
these events are carefully calculated and available.  Call an actuary.

Are there similar sources of information calculating privacy risk?  I
don't think so.

Informally, I don't know anybody who has suffered due to a loss of
privacy.

It may be the case that it is politically beneficial to have a society
of privacy fanatics.  But, this is different from the direct benefit
to each participant.

My question remains unanswered, probably because privacy isn't worth
the effort.

Thread