1996-11-30 - Re: Re[2]: Sound card as a random number source ??

Header Data

From: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
To: pavelk@dator3.anet.cz
Message Hash: 4169753b33fa7c18d5878c80f28e7034e8a72eb202ffb0153d48098872065f83
Message ID: <849351681.94527.0@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Raw Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 03:12:34 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 03:12:34 -0800 (PST)
To: pavelk@dator3.anet.cz
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Sound card as a random number source ??

> And what if I will use FM receiver, tuned on some channel where is the noise.
> If the potentional attacker don't know the what channel was tuned, he is not
> able to reproduce this IMHO. Of course, maybe it is possible to record the whole
> spectrum to tapes, but I think that the noise will change when recorded and
> played back from tape.

It might possibly be random enough, especially if you use a tape
recorder of a reasonably poor quality, thus inducing wow and flutter
noise to the recording before it is sampled. anyone else care to
comment?

  Datacomms Technologies web authoring and data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/
      Email for PGP public key, ID: 5BBFAEB1