1996-11-07 - Re: Dr. Vulis is not on cypherpunks any more

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 43c27fcf8566ede3ad8962b9f46dc83c218b7e8c57a47cb27c26510f699c4236
Message ID: <75Z1wD2w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.961106085914.3111A-100000@crl.crl.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-07 16:18:27 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 08:18:27 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 08:18:27 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Dr. Vulis is not on cypherpunks any more

Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com> writes:
> On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Dave Crocker wrote:
>
> > 	Actually I think that this view is at the core of the
> > misunderstanding.
> >
> > 	In fact, we ARE required to suffer fools.
>
> What you mean WE, white man?  Does this "requirement" include
> John Gilmore?  Must he and his machine be held in hostage to
> the gratuitous flames of Dimitri?  I think not.

You are required to suffer fools in order to maintain any sort of
credibility as the proponent of free speech.  John Gilmore has managed
to destroy his credibility.

Of course he's not required to maintain his credibility and is free to
destroy it in any way he wants to.

> This IS a private list, like it or not.  Crying "censorship" or
> "authoritarianism" merely because John handled this differently
> than you would have, is disingenuous to say the least.

Nobody's trying to interfere with John Gilmore's right to practice censorship
on his private mailing list.

But to deny that he's engaging in censorship is disingenuous.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM