1996-11-22 - RE: Mass-market crypto phones

Header Data

From: “Mullen Patrick” <Mullen.Patrick@mail.ndhm.gtegsc.com>
To: “Lucky Green” <shamrock@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 49285dfd15f20501dec507d9b591e123e67add37e8777c461d168a7e0ae15256
Message ID: <n1363438071.71871@mail.ndhm.gtegsc.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 14:35:55 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Mullen Patrick" <Mullen.Patrick@mail.ndhm.gtegsc.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 14:35:55 -0800 (PST)
To: "Lucky Green" <shamrock@netcom.com>
Subject: RE: Mass-market crypto phones

From: Lucky Green on Fri, Nov 22, 1996 14:52
<snip>

>quality is fine. Note that a fast IP connection may or may not suffice.
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<snip>

>sending UDP packets over the Internet new problems arise. One packet
         ^^^^^^^^^^^          ^^^^^^^^
<snip>

>--Lucky

I was going to just listen to the way this thread is going because I find
it fascinating, but now that it has been spelled out, I must make a very
important distinction between my idea and PGPFone, WebPhone, etc. --
These are Web-based programs designed to speak over very long distances
for "free" (neglecting ISP charges, etc.), adding the extra functionality
of encrypting your data along the way so sniffers, etc can't listen in
on your conversation.

My encryptophone(tm) :-) is purely a modem-modem protocol.  This way, even at
14.4k you get all of your throughput.  No TCP/IP overhead.  No busy Net.
No "Why won't my ISP hold a connection longer than TWO MINUTES!?!?".  The
idea I was tossing around was a simple modem program which takes digitized
voice, encrypts it, pumps it through the phone line directly to the modem
on the other side which undoes it all.  (Yes, I know this is a simplified
view.)  I also know it may not be as useful as the web-based products, but
I also know you don't have to worry about the aforementioned problems and
neither party has to have a Net account.  This eliminates some of the
problems which have been sent to me.  Of course, some of the problems
still apply and must be addressed.  I guess now's the time to admit that
the first and foremost problem is that I have never programmed my soundcard...

I appreciate the tips and pointers everyone has been giving me tremendously.
Hopefully, this thread doesn't do a complete reversal, because I am storing
all hints/suggestions/tips to be used when I can finally get this project
going.  (I'm stubborn.  I need to at least try it, if for no other reason
than to get the knowledge... :-)

Thanks!
PM

Thread