1996-11-09 - allow me to state the obvious….

Header Data

From: SUCRUM22at_INDY-ADP@smtp-gw.cv62.navy.mil
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4b89efca2f725fa98685bf1ecee65290a1798dc3694596f916fd672518890cc6
Message ID: <9610098475.AA847591051@smtp-gw.cv62.navy.mil>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-11-09 09:11:21 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 01:11:21 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: SUCRUM22_at_INDY-ADP@smtp-gw.cv62.navy.mil
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 01:11:21 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: allow me to state the obvious....

i am your average joe who uses the computer for work and e-mail and the
occasional jaunt into the internet. going along reading this whole
crypto-anarchy thing makes me want to cry. the whole point of cryptography
is getting info from my eyes to yours. period. you can say that "illegal"
information passes along the internet, but hello people - illegalities have
been going on since long before the invention of the computer (or even the
notion of cryptography - if i may stop to point out the obvious).  the only
reason _i_ use encrypted stuff is because i don't want my nosy sysadmin
reading my mail.  its that simple.  think about it.  how many times is your
e-mail handed off?  when sent it naturally follows the most convenient path
to its destination, and even anonymous re-mailers (can) keep a hard copy of
the messages that cross their connections with the original address
included.  you can go off into spoofing address and so on, but your average
joe may (or may not) have the time or knowledge (much less the motivation)
to do that.  keep that in mind before you go saying that crypto is a
good/bad thing.

  a calculated risk based on the possible consequence of an action
 is better than a haphazard one based on poor judgment or ignorance
Don't confuse my views with those of the DoD or the United States Navy

Thread