1996-11-10 - Re: Information [for new PGP user]

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: “William.H.Geiger.III@mailhub.amaranth.com>
Message Hash: 4cba0500d232732461d1cd58bab11d65356627ed30d71b535ec51f9d7b35c938
Message ID: <328523F4.3BC@gte.net>
Reply To: <199611092356.RAA22533@mailhub.amaranth.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-10 02:52:05 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 18:52:05 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 18:52:05 -0800 (PST)
To: "William.H.Geiger.III@mailhub.amaranth.com>
Subject: Re: Information [for new PGP user]

whgiii@amaranth.com wrote:
> In <3284BF7A.36E0@gte.net>, on 11/09/96
>    at 09:29 AM, Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net> said:
> >Yet another success (NOT!) story for PGP.  I wonder how many people on
> >this list would be willing to bet something *really* important to them on
> >the security of PGP?

> Dale you are truly a clueless shmuck.
> I would be truly intrested to see how many platforms and with how many
> different compilers the source code of YOUR program would work.

Tell ya' what, Mr. know-it-all.  From 1983 to 1988, I developed my own database program
and ported it to 7 different small-computer O/S's.  Much of the re-porting for updates
I handled with custom utilities I developed for the purpose.

I wouldn't claim to have expertise equal to some of those whizzes from IBM et al, but I
sure as hell know what it is to make code *very* portable.

Problem with PGP (apparently) is multiple sources (programmers) and just a helluva big
size for what it does (for most people).  Now, Win95, WinNT, etc. are also big for
what most people will use them for, but then again, those programs will *never* be
issued with source, and anyway, you don't have to bet the farm on their security.

Thread