1996-11-04 - free SSL CAs?

Header Data

From: Sam Quigley <osquigle@midway.uchicago.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4ddfe4ce1f59c1e052546949acb53f921a795abcec4b47cacd39506afa2739dd
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.961103231441.3151I-100000@kimbark.uchicago.edu>
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 21:15:18 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Sam Quigley <osquigle@midway.uchicago.edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 21:15:18 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: free SSL CAs?

Are there any free Certificate Authorities for SSL?
I've got a Stronghold server running, and I don't particularly want to pay
Verisign/Thawte's high prices, but I do want to be able to do real SSL.
I've set up my own CA, and given myself my own cert., but having the same
server you're interacting with being the one that's the CA for the
transaction leaves the setup open to man-in-the-middle attacks (I'd think,
at least...).

So, who do I turn to for a cert.?  I don't need amazingly trusted or
trustworthy security -- maybe just some third party whose site is unlikely
to have been compromised, etc...

Please respond by email: I've moved to coderpunks, and so won't see
replies on cypherpunks.

thanks,
-sq

Thread