1996-11-14 - Get back on your medications….

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4e8b6f2821a0aa215f1a3410507dd6e9a1cea8de7502bed3a9c5c43a9ae187de
Message ID: <v03007800aeb10c74f181@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199611130331.TAA28661@netcom11.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-14 17:53:17 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 09:53:17 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 09:53:17 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Get back on your medications....

At 4:09 PM -0500 11/13/96, Black Unicorn wrote:

>Why is use of the legal system any different?  If it is so wrong for me to
>use the legal system as it stands, and if I am to be the subject of
>criticism for the conduct, then aren't the critics imposing their moral
>view on me?  Isn't this what libertarian cypherpunks dislike in the first
>place?

"Imposing their moral view on me"?

A distinction has to be made between "imposing," as in applying force, and
expressing an opinion.

What I said a while back is that I'm getting more than a little tired of
threats and bluster about filing lawsuits. If Black Unicorn wants to use
the American legal system in this way, he _should_. But "saber rattling"
about it is getting old.

(I also find his threats applied inconsistently, as when he advises one of
his opponents that making a mention of "medications" may be "actionable,"
while ignoring the many, many comments by me, Sandy, and others of our ilk
about people needing to get back on their lithium or thorazine. And, by the
way, it's _not_ actionable to make such jibes, at least not yet.)

Hardly a matter of "imposing my moral values on him," as he is perfectly
free to ignore my comments, or rebut them, etc.

--Tim May

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.