1996-11-25 - Re: Fwd: Your Email Privacy Has Been Compromised

Header Data

From: Jeffrey A Nimmo <janimmo@rigel.infonex.com>
To: EBDAVIS@aol.com
Message Hash: 5180932c986766b07fb090e3667c779897c91e4a96d986913a5f24afedccd79c
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.961125112659.29484A-100000@rigel.infonex.com>
Reply To: <961125072341_805751587@emout02.mail.aol.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-25 20:02:32 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:02:32 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Jeffrey A Nimmo <janimmo@rigel.infonex.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:02:32 -0800 (PST)
To: EBDAVIS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: Your Email Privacy Has Been Compromised

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996 EBDAVIS@aol.com wrote:

> From:	securityadmn@netsecurity.yes

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say that this is
a forged e-mail address.

> In my program you'll learn:
>
> *How to send email that cannot be traced.

Well, I for one hope he doesn't just mean forging the "From:"
header like he did above.

> My package is a treasure trove of valuable information collected
> to guarantee your privacy!

"Guarantee?" I didn't think that was possible. I know it's possible
to make it so difficult to read your mail that it wasn't worth the
bother.

> This is the first time I am making this information available.  In a
> short while, the program will be retailing for $59.95.  However, if
> you respond within the next 7 days of receiving this message you
> will receive the special price of $19.95.  Because of the amazing
> expansion of the internet, I have decided to make this offer so
> that everyone can afford to learn how to protect themselves from
> the net's growing criminal element.  After seven days you may
> still order the program at its retail price of $59.95.

Well, if he's for real (which I doubt), and he gives detailed
instructions for the newbie on how to set up PGP on all
platforms, Premail, Mixmaster, the nym servers, the anonymizer,
etc., then it might be worth it to some people. However, I found
that doing it the hard way (trial and error), was not only
cheaper, but helped me understand the programs better.

> Additionally, if you order within the next 48 hours, I'll include a
> very special report about how you can get a free email address
> and account to use from just about anywhere in the U.S.  I'll
> show you how, but you must order within the next 48 hours!

I hope he's not referring to the nym servers, as they aren't
real accounts.

> Please be certain to give me your
> email address when ordering.  I prefer to ship orders via email
> so that you can have my information as soon as possible.

I wonder if it might just be a case of:

"Okay, here's your PGP FAQ, nym FAQ, Mixmaster FAQ, Anonymity
FAQ, and anonymizer URL. Thanks for the twenty bucks! See ya'!"

> To order send a check, money order, or credit card information
> (Visa, MasterCard, Discover) to me at:

But what about all the evil postman who are just waiting for
you to send your credit card number through the mail? And I thought
he was concerned about our security?

> Copyright 1996, Jeff Martin.  All rights reserved.

What's he copyrighting? His e-mail message or his credit
card form?

Thread