1996-11-18 - Re: Censor John Gilmore – EFF is a disgrace!

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: freedom-knights@jetcafe.org
Message Hash: 51e51b73e38bfdfcb6f0f4948635b055b8fc5a0be51b19241ce753672f27c9f1
Message ID: <0JFkXD6w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <199611172111.NAA04310@kachina.jetcafe.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-18 01:50:23 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 17:50:23 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 17:50:23 -0800 (PST)
To: freedom-knights@jetcafe.org
Subject: Re: Censor John Gilmore -- EFF is a disgrace!

Dave Hayes <dave@kachina.jetcafe.org> writes:

> > #From Phrack 49, file p49-09 published this month:
> >                                  File 09 of 16
> >                           by Dr.Dimitri Vulis (KOTM)
> >                A Content-Blind Cancelbot for Usenet (CBCB)
> > And what follows, is Dr. Dimitri, defender of freedom of expression,
> > champion of the anti-censors on the net, posting code to the world to
> > engage in exactly those activities that everyone has been ranting about
> > as being so utterly "horrifying (forged cancellations etc)" as it
> > were.

No. Forging cancels is as a harmless prank. Deleting Usenet articles from
news spool based on cancels is a sign of a badly misconfigured server, and
a newasadmin not doing his job.

> You call yourself on cypherpunks, and you blithely assume that a
> Phrack author actually signs his real name?
>
> Either I thought you guys were *real* hackers and you aren't, or
> this is a very funny troll.

Definitely, the plug-pulling assholes on cypherpunks mailing list don't
qualify as hackers. They can't even write code!

Blah blah blah security through obscurity blah blah blah only the Usenet
Cabal has cancelbots blah blah blah only Usenet Cabal knows how to forge
cancels blah blah blah netwide acceptance of unauthenticated cancels is
crucial to fighting spam blah blah blah. See Tim Skirvin's Cancel FAQ.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM