1996-11-02 - Re: White House crypto proposal – too little, too late

Header Data

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
To: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 5ca45dd0d6163dcef05e2f926f645877058fdd05c2b1a13131398f898768633f
Message ID: <v02130502aea03e5cb753@[10.0.2.15]>
Raw Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 16:29:06 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 16:29:06 -0800 (PST)
To: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: White House crypto proposal -- too little, too late

>> Are there any current import restrictions for products on can legally
>> manufacture, sell, and use in the United States?
>
>Sure. Firearms. The Gun Control Act of 1968 bans the importation of
[snip]

>What does all that have to do with crypto? It is the *same* issue. In the
>government's view, crypto is a danger to their future plans, just as
>firearms are. Do you think it is a coincidence that crypto is listed as a
>munition? Think about it for just a moment. Crypto is a weapon in the
>hands of the people. And that's what Cypherpunks is all about.
>
>Starting from import restrictions, you will see restrictions on size of
>keys (=maximum rounds in the magazine, now set at 10, proposed to be
>lowered to six), who may own it (no felons, people convicted of certain
>misdemeanors), who may sell it and how it can be purchased (must provide
>identification, sales will be logged). I guess you can figure out the rest.
>
>--Lucky

Yes, but crypto is one of the first intangible 'munitions'.  It is much
easier to constrain physical items than data.  That is why anonimity,
especially financial transaction anonymity, is so aboherant to LE.

PGP Fingerprint: FE 90 1A 95 9D EA 8D 61  81 2E CC A9 A4 4A FB A9
Snoop Daty Data           | Internet: azur@netcom.com
Grinder                   |
Sacred Cow Meat Co.       |

                          Hacker Opportunities
                        (Let's Make Lots Of Money)

I've got the brains, you've got the tricks
Let's make lots of money
You've got the code, I've got the hooks
Let's make lots of ...

I've had enough of scheming and messing `round with jerks
My crypto code's compiled, I'm afraid it doesn't work
I'm looking for a partner, someone who gets things fixed
Ask yourself this question: do you want to be rich?

I've got the hacks, you've got the keys
Let's make lots of money
You've got the code, I've got the hooks
Let's make lots of money

You can tell I'm educated, I studied at CalTech
Doctored in mathematics, I could've been set
I can program a computer, choose the perfect time
If you've got the inclination, I have got the crime

Ooooh, there's a lot of opportunities
If you know when to take them, you know
There's a lot of opportunities
If there aren't, you can make them (Make or break them)

I've got the brains, you've got the tricks
Let's make lots of money
Let's make lots of ...

You can see I'm single-minded, I know what I could be
How do you feel about it? Come, take a walk with me
I'm looking for a partner regardless of expense
Think about it seriously, you know it makes sense

Let's (Got the brains)
Make (Got the tricks)
Let's make lots of money (Money)
Let's (You've got the code)