1996-11-30 - Re: Announcement: Very Good Privacy

Header Data

From: jonathon <grafolog@netcom.com>
To: Mark Rosen <mrosen@peganet.com>
Message Hash: 5d6f951ac02f0145c54b6fc5b93d9c85ec3ec17beb63a0ba5a993a8cc5c4a61f
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.95.961130080157.18557I-100000@netcom17>
Reply To: <199611292343.SAA15315@mercury.peganet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-30 08:09:46 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 00:09:46 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jonathon <grafolog@netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 00:09:46 -0800 (PST)
To: Mark Rosen <mrosen@peganet.com>
Subject: Re: Announcement: Very Good Privacy

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, Mark Rosen wrote:

> 	I have written an encryption program called Very Good Privacy

	Trademark violation here.   Probably not a good thing.

> 95/NT. It supports drag-and-drop encryption using the following algorithms:
> ASCII (Caesar), BlowFish, DES, IDEA, NewDES, RC4, Safer SK-128, and
> Vigenere. After the files are encrypted, the user has the option of

	<< text deleted >>

> Good Privacy is only "pretty good" but Very Good Privacy is "very good."

	I'm not sure how an encryption product that uses encryption
	algorithms weaker than Pretty Good Privacy can be described
	as being better than PGP.

	Especially when all the algorithms listed have known problems
	of one kind, or another.   << And yes, I know that the known
	problems -- in some instances --- are entirely theoretical in
	nature.  >>

        xan

        jonathon
        grafolog@netcom.com

	SpamByte:  The amount of spam Sanford Wallace sends to AOL
		   in one 24 hour period.
		   Roughly 1 000 Terabytes sent every 24 hours.

	T3 Connection:   The connection that AOL needs to deal with
		the spam Sanford Wallaces send to them in one day,
		so that legitimate users can contact people at AOL.

Thread