1996-11-16 - Re: ideal secure personal computer system

Header Data

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
To: Jeremiah A Blatz <jer+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Message Hash: 604b0145d47a8272ed2389f57e2508447240ad01e7c2cac48ccb57726d55f054
Message ID: <v02140b01aeb3002591ab@[10.0.2.15]>
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:49:30 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:49:30 -0800 (PST)
To: Jeremiah A Blatz <jer+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: ideal secure personal computer system

>A friend of mine just got back from a kerberos conferance at MIT, at
>dinner one night they were talking about fun-n-easy ways to extract
>data from a machine. One of them mentioned that after a while, a "on"
>Of course, no computer is "secure" without a thermite charge above the
>hard drive, and a tamper-resistant case.
>"Well, Billy, the Sevret Service is here, they want to take away your
> computer (and telephone, and cassette tapes ,and etc.)"
>"Okay, mom. It's right over here, Mr. Scarry Secret Service dude."
><lift> "Ffffffts"
>"Hey, Billy, what's that smoke coming out of your computer?"

I discussed this seriously with an engineering acquaintence who has done
drive design for a number of major companies.  He thought this could be
easily achieved technically but might present some significant hurdles for
getting UL approval :-)  Seriously though, there might be a market for an
Mission Impossible drive retrofit kits which could be triggered by SW or
HW.

--Steve

PGP Fingerprint: FE 90 1A 95 9D EA 8D 61  81 2E CC A9 A4 4A FB A9
Steve Schear             | Internet: azur@netcom.com
Lamarr Labs              | Voice: 1-702-658-2654
7075 West Gowan Road     | Fax: 1-702-658-2673
Suite 2148               |
Las Vegas, NV 89129      |

Internet and Wireless Development

Defeat the Demopublican Unity Party. Vote no on Clinton/Dole in November.
   Vote Harry Browne, Libertarian, for President.
http://www.harrybrowne96.org

Thread