1996-11-14 - RE: Remailer Abuse Solutions

Header Data

From: “Mullen Patrick” <Mullen.Patrick@mail.ndhm.gtegsc.com>
To: “Peter Hendrickson” <ph@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 64b5a061662817e168eb652df70b3278c7a6bcfa30e4a55c51ec0f4dfba70a79
Message ID: <n1364137874.80685@mail.ndhm.gtegsc.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:12:38 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Mullen Patrick" <Mullen.Patrick@mail.ndhm.gtegsc.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:12:38 -0800 (PST)
To: "Peter Hendrickson" <ph@netcom.com>
Subject: RE: Remailer Abuse Solutions

From: Peter Hendrickson on Thu, Nov 14, 1996 13:22
>This assumes that spam has gotten so bad that everybody filters their
>mail and only accepts mail on the "accept" list.  People sending mail
>directly to your account would get a message back saying that they had
>to get on the "free" list or send their mail through one of the approved
>remailers.

So our ideas on implementation are similar, except you have made the
distinction that anyone on the "free" list can have direct access.
Unfortunately, your idea pivots on the idea spam has exploded to unbearable
proportions.  My complaint on this isn't your idea, it's the projection
such an event may occur.  While I hope this plan won't ever be necessary,
at least not on such a global scale, the application of such techniques
toward a mailing list sounds decent.  I'm still thinking about how I would
go about charging WRT mailing lists;  anonymous postings are puzzling me
at the moment.  Which brings up another topic:  How would an anonymous
remailer operate?  It's hard to eliminate an audit trail when there is some
monetary tie back to you, whether it be credit card, ecash (assuming they
never quite figure out anonymizing it), ...

PM

Thread