1996-11-16 - National Emergency

Header Data

From: Hal Finney <hal@rain.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 68727e1668e0c572838cb439ce54060c42b76d34e96463058a2d6d28e2d94686
Message ID: <199611160123.RAA00315@crypt.hfinney.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 17:23:31 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Hal Finney <hal@rain.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 17:23:31 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: National Emergency

Michael Froomkin posted to the cyberia list a pointer to the Clinton
administration's new export policy.  He has a copy on his web site at:
I found interesting is that it refers to the fact that we are currently
living under a state of national emergency!  I searched on the whitehouse
web site and couldn't find the executive order referred to (maybe it was
classified) but did find this one:

	For Immediate Release                             June 30, 1994

			  Executive Order
			      #12923
			   - - - - - - -

	     Continuation Of Export Control Regulations

	  By the authority vested in me as President by the
	Constitution and the laws of the United States of America,
	including but not limited to section 203 of the International
	Emergency Economic Powers Act ("Act") (50 U.S.C. 1702), I, William
	J. Clinton, President of the United States of America, findthat
	the unrestricted access of foreign parties to U.S. goods,
	technology, and technical data and the existence of certain
	boycott practices of foreign nations, in light of the expiration
	of the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (50 U.S.C.
	App. 2401 et seq.), constitute an unusual and extraordinarythreat
	to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the
	United States and hereby declare a national emergency with respect
	to that threat.

Apparently this state of emergency is still in effect.  This is what
gives the President the power to unilaterally make changes in the export
policy.  It would be nice if our congresspeople would take some
responsibility in this matter.

Hal

Thread