1996-11-09 - Re: Information [for new PGP user]

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Message Hash: 6c362d5832c4bdd0c2133ac14e5ce5c026d9497ebfd05c321e1d8b6fab4e3100
Message ID: <3284BF7A.36E0@gte.net>
Reply To: <847531595.526905.0@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-09 18:04:11 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 10:04:11 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 10:04:11 -0800 (PST)
To: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Information [for new PGP user]

Paul Bradley wrote:
> > >I'll bet you can't find 10 out of 1,000 users who have read the total source,
> > >let alone comprehended and validated it.
> > Depending on the system, compiler and version of PGP, compilation may or
> > may not function as expected.

> I class myself as quite an experience programmer (though I haven`t
> done a lot of code recently) but I spent several days weeding through
> the bugs and it still wouldn`t compile on Borland C++ V4.51 so I just
> read the core code and hoped the executable was really derived from
> that code. I`m normally more paranoid than that but I just don`t have
> the time to spend getting borland to compile it. It won`t even
> compile on my system with the borland makefile than comes with PGP.

Yet another success (NOT!) story for PGP.  I wonder how many people on this list
would be willing to bet something *really* important to them on the security of PGP?

Thread