1996-11-18 - Re: TIS + HP

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Message Hash: 75e016264bac787fd21bca3c42f5c71321ab44e26ee1c24e643166c52f08dc58
Message ID: <3.0b36.32.19961118095521.00dec794@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 09:57:15 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 09:57:15 -0800 (PST)
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: TIS + HP

At 11:18 AM 11/18/96 -0500, John Young wrote:
>A blurb in the Wash Post today says that the HP roll-out
>this morning will include TIS's "trusted third party" product.
>"One essential ingredient in the equation: technology
>developed by TIS. TIS is so far the only company that has
>received permission to export encryption technology
>overseas that exceeds the government's existing
>threshold."
>
>Guess we'll know shortly who else in the System is to be
>Trusted with Information -- other than Thirds, Fourths and
>other Dots and Steves.

With TIS bending over for the big GAK Monster in so many ways, it brings up
a question...  (A probibly off-topic one...)

Does anyone know of intentional GAK-like holes put in their Firewall
Toolkit?  They distribute it for free and distribute source, but with their
record i have little trust in the matter...  (Better yet, does anyone have
suggestions for Firewall code that will run under Linux or FreeBSD?)

---
|  "Remember: You can't have BSDM without BSD." - alan@ctrl-alt-del.com  |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.teleport.com/~alano/          | alano@teleport.com  |

Thread