1996-11-13 - Dossier on Tim May is Easily Obtainable

Header Data

From: smith@sctc.com (Rick Smith)
To: “Timothy C. May” <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 77a6706b182ef8c9e59e8bd9344c2f773998ad439eb47d867f95f6ebf12e7a85
Message ID: <v01540b00aeaf9f2dbe5c@[172.17.1.61]>
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:33:27 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: smith@sctc.com (Rick Smith)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:33:27 -0800 (PST)
To: "Timothy C. May" <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Dossier on Tim May is Easily Obtainable

The thorough investigator respects the value of physical records and
interviews with those actually present. Bit rot is a tricky thing, and so
are simple string matches.

At 7:15 PM 11/12/96, Timothy C. May wrote:

>To illustrate, let me call up my BlackNet Dossier Service entry on you.
>www.black.net... I'll just pick _part_ of your entry, from exactly 30 years
>ago:
>[,,,,much stuff about Mr. Smith elided....]
>So, Mr. Smith...is the dossier entry basically correct?

Perhaps that was the Rick Smith in the class behind or before me who is or
is not shown in yearbook photos with that blonde cheerleader. Or perhaps it
was another Rick Smith who does or does not appear in yearbook photographs
in the company of various brunette females. Could it have been the Rick
Smith whose house got struck by lightning in our town a few weeks back? Or
the Rick Smith who just got a building permit? Are these all the same
person? Nope.

On the other hand, a review of physical records from that important era of
the mid 1960s *does* indicate the existence of one and only one young
Timothy Christopher May in the vicinity of Langley, Va.

Interviews with [SOURCE DELETED] indicate that this young Timothy
Christopher May was known for a clever and abrasive style of discourse.
Investigators note that the exact same style of discourse appears in the
postings of one "Tim May" who is associated with that subversive cabal
known as "cypherpunks." The interviews also indicate that young Timothy
Christopher May was observed on numerous occasions to be reading Scientific
American in the school library and didn't always "share." E-mail messages
authored by "Tim May" and intercepted by [SOURCE DELETED] state that he has
read Scientific American on numerous occasions. At this time there is no
evidence as to whether or not "Tim May" willingly shares his magazines with
others, though some investigators argue that it is unlikely.

Records retrieved from [SOURCE DELETED] also show that the young Timothy
Christopher May exploited his interest in physics for destructive purposes,
like elaborate pranks involving fictious weaponry and national security
information. [INFORMATION DELETED FOR NATIONAL SECURITY REASONS -- ORCON
U31 -- OADR FOR RECLASSIFICATION]

However, more careful investigators have uncovered evidence to suggest that
this was not entirely a prank. Records from [SOURCE DELETED] indicate that
the young Timothy Christopher May purchased a huge gap magnet from Edmund
Scientific Company and also produced science fair project titled "Ball
Lightning: A Stable Plasma?" Investigators suspect the timing of these
events is not a coincidence.

Unfortunately, the photographs of young Timothy Christopher May being
escorted out of Earth Science class by agents of the Office of Naval
Intelligence have somehow been tampered with and are difficult to
reconstruct. Perhaps with modern technology...

Hmmm, similarities in name, interests, style of discourse, and a history of
technological subversion. Is this the same individual, thirty years later?
Gentle readers, you decide.

Rick.
smith@sctc.com

Thread