1996-11-23 - Re: IPG Algorith Broken!

Header Data

From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
To: wichita@cyberstation.net
Message Hash: 787d22ec28931857be53e45a3b8f3a0971f916aa58c12ccef8ae7df45a07b2e9
Message ID: <199611231609.IAA32322@slack.lne.com>
Reply To: <Pine.BSI.3.95.961123025857.17068A-100000@citrine.cyberstation.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-23 17:50:50 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 09:50:50 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 09:50:50 -0800 (PST)
To: wichita@cyberstation.net
Subject: Re: IPG Algorith Broken!

wichita@cyberstation.net writes:

> Do not belive it, it will never happen. It is impossible,  and we can
> prove it to your satisfaction.

No, you can't.  It's impossible to prove an algorithim unbreakable.
You can only say that it hasn't been broken yet, but you can't
predict the advances in cryptoanalysis.

If, in two or three years, no one's broken it then maybe it'll seem
like a reasonably-secure algorithim.  Of course when someone does break
it you'll just say "oh, that wasn't the real algorithim" like you did
last time.

> Please be advised that effective immediately any U.S. or Canadian
> corporation (ltd), organization or government group may now receive a free
> IPG demonstration system, it has some limitations but it does  allow users
> to see how easy it is to use the system compared to existing antiquated
> systems. It will also allow users to prove to themselves that the security
> is truly peerless.
>
> This offer does not apply to individual users.

Why not?  Not giving it to individuals will keep a number of people
from examining it.  If it's as secure as you say then you wouldn't
care who or how many people look at it, would you?
You could always make the demo time-limited.

--
Eric Murray  ericm@lne.com  ericm@motorcycle.com  http://www.lne.com/ericm
PGP keyid:E03F65E5 fingerprint:50 B0 A2 4C 7D 86 FC 03  92 E8 AC E6 7E 27 29 AF

Thread