1996-11-14 - Re: Black markets vs. cryptoanarchy

Header Data

From: Jim Wise <jw250@columbia.edu>
To: N/A
Message Hash: 7aa116624d226a4b4563dd4e73c0e54589de68edc18473069fd342a25db5f584
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.95L.961113231505.27570A-100000@konichiwa.cc.columbia.edu>
Reply To: <awecXD1w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-14 04:29:18 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 20:29:18 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Jim Wise <jw250@columbia.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 20:29:18 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Black markets vs. cryptoanarchy

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:

> I spent a few years living in Columbia housing on 111th St and there are
> plenty of good, cheap groceries around. If you choose to save on the rent
> and to live, e.g., up by City College, then indeed there are fewer groceries
> and they cost more. The clerks who work there also get paid much more than
> the clerks midtown because they risk their lives.
> And you spend more time commuting to Columbia.

These days City College has a miniature version of CU's higher-rent bubble
effect.  At any rate within a few blocks of either school is rather a bit
better off than the surrounding areas.  111th is much more within CU's
sphere of influence, and prices at markets like Westside and UFM drop as
they compete for the student crowd.  That neighborhood has a pocket of
slightly more variety as well, for the same reasons.  As you walk north,
the number of liquor stores rises even as the number of businesses
drops...

--
				Jim Wise
				System Administrator