1996-11-08 - Re: Why is cryptoanarchy irreversible?

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7b185d7454b7fe10d66e0662ca8826d23146fec391979e93fa7697dcbacbae9a
Message ID: <v03007803aea93bec7016@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v02140b11aea9198ebda1@[192.0.2.1]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-08 19:39:04 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 11:39:04 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 11:39:04 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Why is cryptoanarchy irreversible?

At 9:50 AM -0800 11/8/96, Peter Hendrickson wrote:
>At 11:29 AM 11/8/1996, Jeremiah A Blatz wrote:

>> Furthermore, terrorrim and etc do not depend upon secure
>> communications to work. People tend to be able to talk face-to-face in
>> isolated environs, this is just as effective as a good public-key
>> cryptosystem. Crypto won't suddenly protect the types of people who
>> are professional killers/terrorists from scrutiny. It meerly would
>> allow them to communicate securely over distances of more than 10
>> feet. This, IMO, is not much of a win for them.
>
>Face-to-face communications in isolated environs does not a cryptoanarchy
>make.

Yes, but you're the one talking about bombings, mass killings, Sarin gas
attacks, and other such examples of "terrorism." You cite the presence of
these things as why the Constitution will effectively be suspended and why
neighbors will cheerfully conduct vigilante raids on their suspected
terrorists.

Crypto anarchy is not the same thing as terrorism. Calling terrorism
"crypto anarchy" does not make it so.

--Tim May

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.