1996-11-14 - One Big Telecoms Company

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Message Hash: 7eb71c33f008265fd0d279f0bbb323999d0f3b4531f0d546a3dd4802871556d4
Message ID: <3.0b36.32.19961114095406.007664e4@panix.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 06:51:26 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 06:51:26 -0800 (PST)
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: One Big Telecoms Company

At 01:12 PM 11/13/96 -0800, Declan McCullagh wrote:

>* Dave warns us to consider "what would happen if one parent company owned
>*all* communications media." Then we have problems. I've written about
>this in an Internet Underground magazine column. However, this is not the
>case now. Or are you arguing the government should get involved and force
>Gilmore to allow Vulis on his list?

The risk of "one big company" owning all communications that lefties on the
net spend a lot of time worrying about is a real screamer.  We had "one big
company" controlling telecoms in most countries on earth for the last 100
years (those were the government monopoly PTTs).  In spite of the fact that
those PTTs were protected from competition by everything up to and
including (at least in the case of BT and France Telecom) nuclear weapons,
they lost their monopolies.  Two days ago, the UK announced that they were
granting licenses to all 46 companies that have applied to carry bits into
and out of the UK.  DT is being sold off starting in January.  If
government monopolies can't hack it, what chance do private companies have?

DCF

Thread