1996-11-05 - Re: Dr. Vulis is not on cypherpunks any more

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
Message Hash: 897f40902e8b7146f8b82695d36b213135583c098dc14c010662040c93b3cd4e
Message ID: <199611050557.XAA06903@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <847122169.8850.0@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-05 06:08:50 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 22:08:50 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 22:08:50 -0800 (PST)
To: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
Subject: Re: Dr. Vulis is not on cypherpunks any more

paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk wrote:
> > Well put!  I tired a long time ago of Dr. Vulis and several others on this
> > list.  Rather than bitch about it or resort to the same big brother
> > gestapo-censor bullshit we profess to abhor I simply utilized the extensive
> > filtering capability of Eudora.
> >
> > I don't need "big brother" or big "cypherpunk" censoring my mail for me.
> > We have become what we fear the most.  How prophetic and pathetic.
>
> John, if you, and those who support your actions, claim to be
> libertarians you need to take a good hard look at what you have done.
>
> This is a distinctly "big cypherpunkish" move and really cannot be
> condoned even bearing in mind the inane and wearisome behaviour of
> Dr. Vulis.

I guess libertarian philosophy permits operating a private mailing
list and imposing whatever rules the host deems necessary to invent.

The question is, can this ist be called a free medium for exchange of
ideas, or not. My answer is no.

Moderated forums might create some utility (by saving the time of their
participants, for example), but they should identify themselves as such.

	- Igor.

Thread