1996-11-02 - Re: Dr. Vulis is not on cypherpunks any more

Header Data

From: Computer Virus Help Desk <cvhd@indyweb.net>
To: Rich Burroughs <richieb@teleport.com>
Message Hash: 8b4f4c4d2e44cf3818f8966f35057cf37af3c8594a42a75828ab606345787c6c
Message ID: <3.0b36.32.19961102184917.0069e3a0@indyweb.net>
Raw Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 15:49:40 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Computer Virus Help Desk <cvhd@indyweb.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 15:49:40 -0800 (PST)
To: Rich Burroughs <richieb@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: Dr. Vulis is not on cypherpunks any more

At 10:34 AM 11/2/96 -0800, you wrote:

>At 02:13 AM 11/2/96 -0800, John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com> wrote:

>>As stated by Dr. Vulis, he is no longer on the cypherpunks mailing
>>list, and indeed majordomo@toad.com HAS been instructed to ignore his
>>requests to resubscribe.

>>I removed him, on my own initiative.  I got tired of asking him to
>>stop stirring up flames.  When he posted a message saying that we'd
>>have to use technical means to stop him from flaming the list, I said,
>>"OK".
>[snip]

>This all seems really silly to me.

>Are people on this list not sophisticated enough to be capable of filtering
>his posts if they don't like to read them?
>
>What's to stop him from using reailers or nymservers?  Are you going to
>block them, too?
>
>By doing something like this you give him far more attention and
>encouragement than he deserves.  It's a big mistake, IMHO.
>Rich

Well put!  I tired a long time ago of Dr. Vulis and several others on this
list.  Rather than bitch about it or resort to the same big brother
gestapo-censor bullshit we profess to abhor I simply utilized the extensive
filtering capability of Eudora.

I don't need "big brother" or big "cypherpunk" censoring my mail for me.
We have become what we fear the most.  How prophetic and pathetic.

I agree.... a very BIG mistake, indeed....

Thread