1996-11-07 - Re: Why is cryptoanarchy irreversible?

Header Data

From: ph@netcom.com (Peter Hendrickson)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9c5616c1468cfeba7aa1cce783deeff766840933a58f6e439d41861d3be37589
Message ID: <v02140b0eaea81512961e@[192.0.2.1]>
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 14:40:21 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ph@netcom.com (Peter Hendrickson)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 14:40:21 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Why is cryptoanarchy irreversible?

>Jeremiah A Blatz wrote:
>ph@netcom.com (Peter Hendrickson) writes:
>> It appears to be widely believed that cryptoanarchy is irreversible.
>> Everybody believes that the race to deploy or forbid strong cryptography
>> will define the outcome for a long time.
>>
>> I can't think of a reason why this should be so.
><snip>

> Well, once I've got my strong crypto and electronic commerce, and 20
> or so virtual identities to do things for me, and the gub'ment can't
> tell what money I'm making and spending, so they can't tax me. So if
> they can't tax me, and they can't tax lots of folks, then they can't
> pay their jack-booted thugs. So the goverment becomes irrelevant. It
> can't support a huge police state infrastructure, and certainly can't
> but mega-crays to break my crypto, so how're they going to retain
> control?
> When we say anarchy, we mean anarchy.

This only works if there are large numbers of people who think it is
a good idea.  Otherwise, the resources of the Federal Government
may be directed quite effectively against a small number of people.

If you can get a life prison term for your strong crypto you may
hesitate to use it.  If not, then you may get to be an example
for everybody else.

Peter Hendrickson
ph@netcom.com

Thread