1996-11-19 - Re: Extreme Left/Right

Header Data

From: patm@connix.com (Pat McCotter)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a86e28fafb22b6b70728382d0e254f49ced0899361ae3e67e39d9059770b9683
Message ID: <329174bc.8030604@smtp.connix.com>
Reply To: <Pine.HPP.3.91.961118184355.23458G-100000@hpg60.astea.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-19 09:07:50 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 01:07:50 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: patm@connix.com (Pat McCotter)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 01:07:50 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Extreme Left/Right

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996 20:10:53 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

:
:Sandy,
:
:I always had trouble understanding what people meant when they used the
:terms "extreme left" and "extreme right".  Then, about 4 months ago, I
:saw a guy define the "political spectrum" the way (he said) it used to be
:defined before the definitions were corrupted (by whomever wants to
:divide - and conquer - the people).  It made sense to me.  A spectrum
:afterall, at least when we're talking about colors, starts with one type
:of color and graduates to other, DIFFERENT colors.
:
:He defined the "political spectrum" as follows:
:
:< ------- LEFT                                                 RIGHT ------->
:
:            Monarchy      Oligarchy      Democracy      Republic      Anarchy
:
:Rule by:      ONE            FEW           MANY           LAW           NONE
:
:Examples:   Dictator,     Communist,      Lynch Mob     Constitutional
:            King          Fascist State                 Govt (US before
:                                                        1930's)

You forgot the property situation under each.

Anarchy: (IMO belongs left of monarchy, just to keep it mathematical)
           Ownership and distribution of product of ownership
              controlled by the strongest mob.

Monarchy:  Ownership by the one. Privileged few allowed to make use of
              it.

Oligarchy:
           Communist: No private ownership. Distribution of product by
              the state.
           Fascist: Private ownership allowed. Distribution of product
              by the state.

Democracy: Ownership and distribution by the loudest mob.

Republic:  Private ownership and private determination of
              distribution.
            (Major paradigm shift in governance - away from whims of
              one/few/many *people* to *objective laws*.)
                  NOTE: Key word here is *objective* - not law. Whims
                        are subjective.

--
Pat McCotter
Finger patm@connix.com for PGP Public Key