1996-11-18 - Re: San Jose Mercury News declares encryption battle over

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: attila@primenet.com
Message Hash: a9b485e4366e35a7f1fd97ec1387a9b8710ae739e4cb841bc93af1441d513cdb
Message ID: <32900924.5F25@gte.net>
Reply To: <199611170747.AAA27780@infowest.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-18 08:50:07 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 00:50:07 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 00:50:07 -0800 (PST)
To: attila@primenet.com
Subject: Re: San Jose Mercury News declares encryption battle over

attila@primenet.com wrote:
>    at 07:52 PM, Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net> said:
> ::Point 2: I've said something like this before, but here's a place where
> ::it could mean something.  If c-punks and others could divvy up as many
> ::of the supporting functions of "strong" crypto as possible, and issue
> ::them in a set of commonly-available libraries for any and all programmers,
> ::along with source code, then an application programmer (theoretically)
> ::could order up some of these libraries and write some useful crypto code
> ::in short order.

>         one of the best proposals in many years --we have all made good
>     use of library code over the years, unless the simpleton coder has a
>     obsessive-compulsive masochistic need to write an extra 20-50,000
>     lines of 'reinvent the wheel' code.

[remaining text deleted]

I wouldn't bother the list with this kind of suggestion except that,
since so many subscribers feel the situation of freedom -vs- the new
federal urgency to shut down crypto is getting desperate, I urge a
desperate solution, i.e., an unparalleled level of cooperation.

As a personal preference, assuming no government involvement, I would
recommend more creativity and choices, but....

Thread