1996-11-16 - Re: Members of Parliament Problem

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ac84d62a19fff853ca2057b20866bcff0ab618890c7cad9e76569acc4a290be6
Message ID: <328D0476.4C3B@ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <v02140b01aeb1a0ff57d2@[192.0.2.1]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-16 00:02:30 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 16:02:30 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 16:02:30 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Members of Parliament Problem

Peter Hendrickson wrote:

> I read awhile ago that certain members of Parliament do not speak
> their mind regarding the situation in Northern Ireland.  The reason
> they give is that they have children and they fear the IRA.
>
> There are times when one wishes to speak anonymously, yet speak
> as a member of a group.
>
> Is there a way to take published public keys and combine them with
> your own in such a way that your identity is not compromised, but
> it is clear beyond a doubt that you control one of a set of public
> keys?

One way to implement this would be to set up a remailer that only
accepts input signed by a key on its ring.

Or just share a secret key. It would have to be timestamped, i.e.,
"104th Congress Key."

You either need to trust a shared server to know and then blind your
identity, or trust the people with whom you share a secret key not to
give that key to non-group members.

-rich

Thread