1996-11-05 - Re: Telling quote from Bernstein hearing

Header Data

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
Message Hash: b174cfe99ca5ffffcc4437cd60051d430eb1ca79b12fdeddb2a6aaa51cef71a2
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.961104191405.28750C-100000@mercury.thepoint.net>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.961103183821.8637A-100000@eff.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-05 00:16:31 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 16:16:31 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 16:16:31 -0800 (PST)
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
Subject: Re: Telling quote from Bernstein hearing

On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> Tony Coppolino was also the Justice Department's lead attorney in the CDA
> case in Philadelphia. The Feds are grooming lawyers who have a clue about
> the Net.

Indeed.  At no small expense, DOJ has been training "CTCs" for each
U.S. Attorney's office.  CTC stands for "Computer and Telecommunications
Fraud Coordinator."   I know one guy who got sent to four conferences,
including one with the Famous But Incompetents at Quantico, but who then
had the bad taste to leave government employ!

EBD

> -Declan
>

> On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, Lucky Green wrote:
>
> > In the recent hearing of the Bernstein case, Anthony Coppolino for the
> > Justice Department said:
> >

> > "We don't care about the theory; we don't care about
> > the idea Mr. Bernstein has, which was to take a particular type
> > of algorithm and use it to allow for an encrypted interactive
> > conversation.  That's his idea.
> > We don't care about his idea; we care about the
> > result of what it can do."
> > http://www.eff.org/pub/Privacy/ITAR_export/Bernstein_case/Legal/
> > 960920.transcript
> >
> > Encrypted interactive conversations seem to be something to be concerned
> > about...They are afraid of us.
> >
> > -- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock@netcom.com> PGP encrypted mail preferred.
> >    Defeat the Demopublican Unity Party. Vote no on Clinton/Dole in November.
> >    Vote Harry Browne for President.
> >

> // declan@eff.org // I do not represent the EFF // declan@well.com //

Thread