1996-11-05 - Re: NSA Report: Anyone seen this?

Header Data

From: Douglas Barnes <cman@c2.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b29d9e34e4d8c6301a9e96e7ed6e356b69ec26d1ec4e4de004d9099f10914a0a
Message ID: <2.2.32.19961105013727.008c3764@blacklodge.c2.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 19:41:05 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Douglas Barnes <cman@c2.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 19:41:05 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: NSA Report: Anyone seen this?

The paper does, however, repeat the "infinity liability"
fallacy. (See: http://www.c2.net/~cman/)

At 02:38 PM 11/3/96 -0800, you wrote:
>I just finished reading the report "How to Make a Mint: The Cryptography of
>Anonymous Electronic Cash" by Law, Sabett & Solinas. It can be found at
><http://jya.com/nsamint.htm>.
>
>It is very well written with only identification of the issues except in
>the last short paragraph where they clearly lean toward government
>interests.
>
>They identify and distinguish interests of the bank, the consumer's
>privacy, and the government. Some of the measures that they describe
>(providing for traceability) might well be done by a bank operating in an
>anarchy. Imagine that you are running a bank in an anarchy and the son of
>one of your good customers is kidnapped and held for ransom. Suppose that
>the kidnapper is a good customer of another bank with whom you have an
>arm's length relation. The arguments are not simple. Only towards the end
>does the paper begin to conflate the interests of the government and the
>bank. Some of the law enforcement purposes that they describe would apply
>to the anarchy bank, others would not.
>
>The paper is the best description I have seen of several advanced money
>schemes. It has a better description of Chaum's off-line scheme than I had
>seen before. It describes sever even more advanced schemes, both abstracted
>form the mathematical details, and then with the details filled in.

Thread