1996-11-16 - Re: Could Declan or some libertarian explain this?

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Rich Graves <rcgraves@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: b40f794fb6394c0350b5b43fdfa031b3166de2ca062c540d987c954b9b65aeb7
Message ID: <328DFEAD.41C@gte.net>
Reply To: <Pine.GUL.3.95.961114200538.29970B-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-16 18:45:34 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 10:45:34 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 10:45:34 -0800 (PST)
To: Rich Graves <rcgraves@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Could Declan or some libertarian explain this?

Rich Graves wrote:
> >From the so-called fight-censorship list. I would ask there, but the list
> owner won't let me, and I won't stoop to Vulis's level.
> |        PLEASE MARK MY WORDS: IF MY BOOK IS NOT RE-PUBLISHED AND AVAILABLE
> |IN BOOKSTORES, THE CAUSE OF ACADEMIC FREEDOM IN THE WEST WILL BE IN A SORRY
> |STATE.  FEW ACADEMICS WOULD BE PREPARED TO SUFFER THE MANY BLOWS AND
> |THREATS THAT I HAVE NOW ENDURED FOR SIX MONTHS. IF 'The 'g' Factor'
> |DISAPPEARS, SO WILL OTHER SERIOUS PRODUCTS OF RESEARCH AND SCHOLARSHIP --
> |ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE DEEMED "CONTROVERSIAL" BY THE LIBERAL-LEFT.

> His complaint is that his publisher stopped distribution of his book arguing
> that blacks are mentally inferior to whites.
> Could someone please explain to me how Chris Brand is different from Vulis?
> I mean in form; in practice, Declan is bashing Vulis for not recognizing
> rights of private editorial control, but uncritically passing on Mr. Brand's
> message alleging that private editorial control is censorship. Far be it
> from me to criticize Declan's right to exercise editorial control over
> substantive dissent and factual correction, but I was just wondering.

Could someone explain to me why we have to have *any* censorship, if
people on a list are given tools to filter with and reminded on occasion
how to use them?

Thread