1996-11-10 - Re: Black Unicorn exposed?

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bd874199a5930ad9e3e599866a0e3e09c03a02a372e5c3f0f1c25447b3dfe9c1
Message ID: <v0300780eaeaadd57e5d4@[206.119.69.46]>
Reply To: <v02140b03aeaa71ed1c84@[192.0.2.1]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-10 01:46:41 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 17:46:41 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 17:46:41 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Black Unicorn exposed?

At 12:45 pm -0500 11/9/96, Peter Hendrickson wrote:
>We are hardly operating in a hostile environment.  Yet, somebody
>who has apparently gone to some effort to have an anonymous
>identity has been exposed.  The implications of this are worth
>considering.

Nope. Sorry, Pete. Hope you didn't throw out your sholder, swinging for the
fences like that. ;-).

The name "S. L. vonBernhardt" is just another pseudonym of Unicorn's, and
as such, is just another level of redirection, in a rather, hrm,
redirected, life, I would wager.

For what it's worth, the DCSB speaker process is as follows: The speaker
pings me and offers to speak. I say, "Cool. Send me a paragraph about
yourself and another one about your talk, and I'll bounce it off the
program committee." (The program committee is the first 6 or 7 people who
said they wanted to speak when we started DCSB last year. It was my way of
making them sing for their supper. They sing pretty well, given the caliber
of speakers we've had. ;-).)

So, Uni sends me his two paras, which I forward to the program committee,
who do backflips, 'cause Uni's about an 11 on a 10-point "kewl" scale. And
that's it.

When blurb time comes for the talk, I copy and paste said two paras into a
piece of boilerplate, tweak here and there, spam the planet, and voila!, a
DCSB announcement blurb is history. Except of course when the speaker has
been, er, loquacious, and his two paras require editing down, which, in
Uni's case, he wasn't, so I didn't. Except his aside to me that "S. L.
vonBernhardt" is Yet Another Pseudonym.

In short, I sent out what Unicorn sent me. No skulduggerous efforts at
outing him were attempted.

You do have a nice swing, though. Next time, I'll put one over the plate
where you can hit it. :-).

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"The cost of anything is the foregone alternative" -- Walter Johnson
The e$ Home Page: http://www.vmeng.com/rah/

Thread