1996-11-13 - Re: Money-making ideas for Igor Chudov

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c8630bf21a26e5f2652c5df7ab3dd1e6f1a3db6d7f94002b5d26cf7afdebfd4f
Message ID: <199611130546.XAA07197@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <Pso9wD37w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-13 06:41:03 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 22:41:03 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 22:41:03 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Money-making ideas for Igor Chudov

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
> "Igor 'FUCK MNE HARDER' Chudov @ home" <ichudov@algebra.com> writes:
> Instead of "Boris", Igor will substitute one of the 8 newsletter names; instead
> of Adobe, he can use any volatile stock that's as likely to go up as down; and
> the predicted stock price movement will be "up" in the first four newsletters
> and "down" in the other four.
>
> One month later the stock in question is either up or down. Without loss of
> generality, suppose that it's gone down. Aleksej, Boris, Vasilij, and
> Grigorij's investment advice was wrong, they disappear from the face of the
> earth, and the former recipients of their newsletters don't get bothered any
> more. (Or they could be recycled for future scams; or they could be send the
> remaining 2 issues of worthless advice, as promised.) On the other hand
> Dmitrij, Elena, Zhenja, and Zoya guessed right, so this time they send out a
> new investment newsletter via the anonymous remailers:
>
> "Congratulations! You continue to receive the free investment advice newsletter
> from Zoya in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Last month I correctly predicted that Adobe will
> have gone down. If you're smart, you've shorted Adobe's stock and made lots of
> money by now. This month I predict that Cisco will go _down as well."
>
> Again, Dmitrij and Elena predict that some other volatile stock goes up, while
> Zhenja and Zoya predict that it goes down. Suppose D&E are right. Igor leaves
> the Zh.&Z. partitions alone. One month later D&E's subscribers get letter #3:
>
> "Congratulations! You continue to receive the free investment advice newsletter
> from Elena in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Two months ago I predicted that Adobe would go
> down. I hope you sold it short. Last month I predicted that Cisco would go up.
> I hope you bought it. This month I predict that Lucent will go _up."
>
> One month later one of the two is right, so its recipients get the fourth and
> final e-mail from an anonymous remailer, this time using a reply block:
>
> "I've given you three free stock tips over the last 3 months which probably
> made you a lot of money. Now that you've seen my track record, you'll want to
> continue receiving my free advice, but the free promotion is over. Please send
> $20 in untraceable digital cash to this reply block to receive 6 future
> issues."
>
> Quite a few people would risk the $20, but that would be the last they hear
> from Igor. :-)
>
> (Alternatively, he can even e-mail 6 more issues of worthless advice to those
> who caughed up the $20, so they can't complain. It would be hard to prosecute
> Igor without proving that all 8 newsletters were published by the same person
> who's been giving contradictory advice to different people.)

I can send all newsletters signed by myself, but claim that they are
produced by different numerical models for predicting (or derivatives')
returns. This way, even though I send out contradictory advice, I
could always say that I had several experimental programs.

It seems though that the market for advise newsletter has been saturated
by people who give random advices and hope to hit a jackpot, like
Garzarelli did with her "sell" advice before the '87 crash.

So my letters would be hardly noticed.

	- Igor.

Thread