1996-11-17 - Re: The Utility of Privacy

Header Data

From: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d1133a5cda5e83053215d45e41ccb912386eed8698eca842342f4fed825caf37
Message ID: <199611171623.IAA02492@mailmasher.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 08:23:17 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 08:23:17 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The Utility of Privacy

At 10:49 PM 11/16/1996, Hal Finney wrote:
>David Brin has an article in the December issue of Wired arguing that
>privacy is obsolete and was never that great an idea in the first place.

>Maybe you'd say that all of these people should expose their secrets, or have
>them exposed for them, and that the world would be a better place. (Actually,
>you do seem to say this, and I'll discuss it later.)

>I really don't think we have any right to second-guess the decisions people
>have made about what they will reveal and what they will keep private.

This is not my claim.  If free citizens go to the trouble of
protecting their privacy, good for them.

How important is it that I should do so?

Thread