1996-11-30 - Re: The House Rules At The Permanent Virtual Cypherpunks Party

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Bryce <bryce@digicash.com>
Message Hash: df9c0819f70cc11345401bf5f80852f88fb428289ff26e126d01d0506e77b469
Message ID: <329F9BA0.541B@gte.net>
Reply To: <Pine.HPP.3.91.961129170630.7957A-100000@cor.sos.sll.se>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-30 02:28:04 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 18:28:04 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 18:28:04 -0800 (PST)
To: Bryce <bryce@digicash.com>
Subject: Re: The House Rules At The Permanent Virtual Cypherpunks Party

Asgaard wrote:
> > Rule 2:  Don't forward articles from other forums to
> > cypherpunks.  We can find it ourselves the same place you did

[snippo]

I wrote a short response to one point in the original post, and it got
"lost" somehow.

Bryce (I think) said words to the effect that "We (subscribers) are doing
something with John's computer, etc.", as though the list subscribers are
actually operating John's computer, with John's kind permission and over-
view (as though children being supervised in school).

What I said was:  I don't *do* anything with John's computer, I merely
mail messages with an address on them, and John can remail or dispose of
those messages as he wishes, as long as he doesn't modify them or otherwise
use them for any purpose besides what they were intended for.

Bryce's (I think) writing was clearly an example of the kind of double-
speak that 1984-ish censors use to justify their actions, and I for one
cannot let that kind of B.S. go unchallenged.

Thread