1996-11-19 - Securing Electronic Mail Within HMG

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f2519c641f9bf22be2db547a48120ae43e4804dce58d25d4dd7aa073028c3881
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19961119074914.006a7368@pop.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 23:51:18 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 23:51:18 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Securing Electronic Mail Within HMG

We have received from an anonymous source a document titled:

"Securing Electronic Mail Within HMG, Part I, Infrastructure
and Protocol." 21 March 1996.

>From the Introduction:

"This document is the first part of CESG's recommendations for
securing electronic mail within HMG. The main objective of the
recommendations is to facilitate pan-government secure inter-
operability of electronic mail, by simplifying the implementation
of secure electronic mail within government, ensuring secure
electronic mail between departments is possible, attempting to
facilitate future inter-operability with commercial users,
maximising the use of commercial technology in a controlled manner,
whilst allowing access to keys for data recovery or law enforcement
purposes if required."

Other sections describe:

2. Authentication Framework

3. Confidentiality Framework

4. Security Protocol

The document refers to the Royal Holloway program for TTP critiqued
by Ross Anderson and others as "EuroClipper." Perhaps those with
more knowledge could make an assessment.

The document consists of 13 pages of text and diagrams, with
a few gaps.

-----

http://jya.com/sem.htm  (35 kb with 7 jpg images)

Thread