1996-11-17 - Re: Don’t Feed the Animals!

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f538182ab5356e58a6b97354a7dc68bc0e23a220b9eaa8a8e81e006213300528
Message ID: <328EA802.1B19@gte.net>
Reply To: <v03007800aeb405c5abe0@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-17 05:58:06 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 21:58:06 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 21:58:06 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Don't Feed the Animals!

Timothy C. May wrote:
> Fact is, I now have more people in my Eudora filter file that at any time
> in the four years this list has existed. Also a fact, there are more people
> on this list that at any time in history (despite what some of the New Wave
> journalists are writing about "the death of the Cypherpunks list").

[snip]

> This one case
> involving Vulis was well-described by John: he asked Vulis to stop sending
> 50K byte rants about the Armenians and Turks to the list--consider that
> 50KB x 1500 destinations = 75 MB of outgoing traffic, modulo corrections
> for aliases, compression, etc. Vulis responded with more insults, basically
> saying "Make me!!!!" Gilmore said, "OK."]

[mo' snip]

I've been hammered on for a nearly-50k posting, which is pretty much just
a one-time deal for me, so I know what you're saying.  Is there some way
around this problem? I'd hate to take a coffee break and find my computer
downloaded 100 50kb messages of anything, especially considering the
duplication that takes place here.

I'd hate to think that all of this discussion comes down to a message-size
problem.

Thread