1996-11-01 - ITAR restricts Financial Cryptography

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f99dfad4b9a8ad81ee359626c925fd4dbb24a1be0834edce1d7286b9f73ff2fb
Message ID: <199611011908.LAA20178@netcom6.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 11:09:10 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 11:09:10 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: ITAR restricts Financial Cryptography

Just in case anyone still thinks that the ITAR doesn't interfere with the
use of cryptography to protect financial systems from fraud, here is a data
point.

From: "Lewis, Tony" <tlewis@visa.com>
 To: "'set-announce'" <set-announce@commerce.net>,
         "'set-discuss'"
         <set-discuss@commerce.net>
 Subject: Reference code availability update
 Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 21:06:34 -0800
 Encoding: 14 TEXT
 Sender: owner-set-talk@commerce.NET

 Addressed to: set-discuss@commerce.net

 At the SET Open Vendor Meeting, MasterCard and Visa announced that a SET
 reference implementation would be made available. Unfortunately,
 producing the reference code has taken longer than we planned. Our
 current plan is to have it ready by the end of November, 1996.

 Because of U.S. export regulations, it will not be possible for us to
 post the reference code for download. Individuals and companies that
 want a copy of the reference code will need to request it. The
 procedures for making such a request will be announced here in
 approximately one week.
 Tony Lewis (tlewis@visa.com)
 Chief Systems Architect, Internet Commerce
 Visa International Service Association
 This message was sent by set-discuss@commerce.net.  For a complete listing
 of available commands, please send mail to 'majordomo@commerce.net'
 with 'help' (no quotations) contained within the body of your message.

Bill Frantz       | Tired of Dole/Clinton?     | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | Vote 3rd party.  I'm       | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | Voting for Harry Browne    | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread