1996-11-11 - Re: Secrecy: My life as a nym. (Was: nym blown?)

Header Data

From: Jim McCoy <mccoy@communities.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f9a3e5638dd5f6f0c65495fd22819062938e2e23380a1742fdd93c0d281c1f66
Message ID: <v03007801aead576335d0@[205.162.51.35]>
Reply To: <199611111626.IAA31552@crypt>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-11 22:22:09 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:22:09 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Jim McCoy <mccoy@communities.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:22:09 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Secrecy: My life as a nym. (Was: nym blown?)

Hal writes:
>Black Unicorn makes a lot of good points regarding privacy.  One thing
>I wanted to follow up on:
>
>> Unfortunately, in the United States most citizens only become interested
>> in privacy in their 20s or so.  By this time it is difficult to overcome
>> the mass of information which has been stored up.  (Pseudocide can be an
>> attractive option for some perhaps).
[...]
>Are there other measures which parents could take while their children are
>young to get them off to a good start, privacy-wise?

Do not declare your children as dependants.  If you do then you are required
to get a SSN for them, but if you are willing to waive the tax savings there
is no requirement than children have a SSN.  Not having a handy universal
index number like a SSN makes it a lot harder for people to accumulate
statistics on your kids.

jim

Thread