1996-11-04 - Re: [NOISE]Re: Dr. Vulis

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Ross Wright <rwright@adnetsol.com>
Message Hash: fa5ebb4baaaa7f99c3f4957d76087b798bf64d901264bd51a92bd569112e37ba
Message ID: <327D5E70.69B5@gte.net>
Reply To: <199611031759.JAA05324@adnetsol.adnetsol.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-04 03:27:15 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 19:27:15 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 19:27:15 -0800 (PST)
To: Ross Wright <rwright@adnetsol.com>
Subject: Re: [NOISE]Re: Dr. Vulis

Ross Wright wrote:
> On or About  3 Nov 96 at 14:46, Derek Bell wrote:
> >  I'm not happy with the barring of Vulis from the list

> Just want to add my 2 cents.  I am also unhappy with the fact that he was removed.
> My personal correspondence with Vulis has been friendly and he has been very helpful.

Someone (Gilmore?) mentioned new subscribers being a problem, not knowing how to filter
and so on.  Would periodic postings for new subscribers, in addition to the initial
welcome message, be a possible solve for this?

Please don't curse me for this next idea, as I'm not really familiar with what goes on
on a mail server:  How about if everyone could send to the list with the subject line
containing in [] brackets one of several strings from a list maintained by the server,
examples being [NOISE], [RANT], [CRYPTO], [NEWS] etc., and for postings without one of
the selections, the line could default to [NOISE] or whatever.

I don't mean to propose anything heavy-handed, but there ought to be a way to apply
a *little* more technology to get a *little* cleaner list, without impeding the "lower
end" of the signal.  Unless, of course, there are other technical or personal reasons
for blocking the "Doctor" that I'm not aware of.

Thread