1996-11-04 - just what we #$%^&* needed from big brother….

Header Data

From: attila@primenet.com
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: ff393c2269db93dbfbf0a7a8459fa451518cbd26be7cbc58d129d5c30ba0fac7
Message ID: <199611041919.MAA07953@infowest.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SOL.3.91.961103154126.12206A-100000@elanor.oit.unc.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-04 19:38:46 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 11:38:46 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: attila@primenet.com
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 11:38:46 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: just what we #$%^&* needed from big brother....

Welcome to 1984+  what else with useless and illegally constituted
bureaucrats add to their total infringement of every facet of our life.

-.NEW SYSTEM LINKS LENDERS, IRS

-.The Internal Revenue Service is developing an electronic program to link
-.mortgage lenders with the IRS, allowing them to exchange e-mail comparing
-.stated earnings on the mortgage application with actual tax return
-.information for the previous couple of years.  If the cross-check turns up a
-.more than $10,000 discrepancy between the earnings claimed on the application
-.and those declared for tax purposes, the IRS has the option of pursuing the
-.loan applicant via an audit.  IRS has targeted the system at self-employed
-.borrowers, who often declare high earnings in order to qualify for a larger
-.loan, but lower earnings when it comes to paying taxes.  "Who knows what
-.their real incomes are?" asks one mortgage broker.

    (St. Petersburg Times 2 Nov 96 D5 courtesy of Edupage)

--
one of the few things we all share:
  the utter, corrosive contempt for our elected officials.

  Politicians are like diapers.
    They both need changing regularly, and for the same reason.

Thread