1996-12-05 - Re: Counterproductive Dorothy Denning Flames

Header Data

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 04f7c3f4b37f6b10f85d6dab10c1c0b9121dcd65fb7e327ce6cfbf521009e952
Message ID: <9612042128.AA00799@ch1d157nwk>
Reply To: <199612040549.VAA06361@abraham.cs.berkeley.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-05 11:33:32 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 03:33:32 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 03:33:32 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Counterproductive Dorothy Denning Flames

nobody writes:
>  She is seen as "one of us" because she wrote a book on
>  cryptography.  As a consequence, she is seen as a traitor.
>  I am not endorsing this view.

She didn't just write a book on cryptography, but several books.  She is also
the Chairperson (eek, PC titles...) of the CS department at Georgetown, a
very respectable institution, and has taught classes there on cryptology.  She
has also done research on crytpographic access control to databases and other
stuff.  So as far as being a cryptologist she is quite learned and should
deserve respect regardless of her political views.

However, after reviewing the Skipjack algorithm (of course her being invited
to look at it was certainly due to her anti-strong-crypto-for-the-masses
views), she said something to the effect of "We looked at it over the weekend
and couldn't find anything wrong with it, so you should trust it." when she
knows damned well that you can't evaluate a cypher in three days.  It is for
this that she no longer deserves respect as a cryptologist.  She basically
cashed in her reputation-capital to help the U.S. Govt. dupe the American
people into buying Clipper.  Fortunately, we didn't buy it.

andrew

Thread