1996-12-15 - Re: ITAR -> EAR; loss of First Amendment Rights.

Header Data

From: “Peter D. Junger” <junger@pdj2-ra.F-REMOTE.CWRU.Edu>
To: trei@process.com
Message Hash: 134c592c97a1a6e18803b8f57af190db31a6898c71aecfced5084e834ea4b55c
Message ID: <199612150243.VAA09651@pdj2-ra.F-REMOTE.CWRU.Edu>
Reply To: <199612131951.LAA03511@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-15 02:45:58 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 18:45:58 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Peter D. Junger" <junger@pdj2-ra.F-REMOTE.CWRU.Edu>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 18:45:58 -0800 (PST)
To: trei@process.com
Subject: Re: ITAR -> EAR; loss of First Amendment Rights.

"Peter Trei" writes:

: It appears that we will now have the unique
: situation that a book which contains cryptographic
: info or source code will be illegal to export or
: sell to a non-citizen, without getting export permission.
:
: I am not aware of any prior time when the government
: attempted to claim that printed material, freely
: available in bookstores and newsstands to US citizens,
: became contraband when sold or given to a non-citizen.

A literal reading of the ITAR's provisions relating to cryptography
leads to exactly that result.  And there have been strong suggestions
that that is the intended result in some of the statements made by
representatives of the State Department.

If you are interested in this you might look into MIT's experiences
when they published the book with the PGP source code.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
Internet:  junger@pdj2-ra.f-remote.cwru.edu    junger@samsara.law.cwru.edu

Thread